I am really excited about being involved in the Premier’s Reading Challenge and encouraging more young people, especially boys, to enjoy reading.
My favourite books when growing up were the Famous Five series as my hero was George, the girl who believed she could do anything. Now I like reading mysteries, science fiction, history and biographies of people who make a difference in the world.
My brother, Mark Williams, and I have written a book about football called “The night Marcus won the flag” and I recently published a book on good sport psychology titled, “Think Prepare Play Like a Champion”. They are both on the Premier’s Reading Challenge booklist, one in the Year 3-5 section and the other for older readers who love sport. Both are a lot of fun to read.
My favourite food
Anything anyone else cooks.
My dream car
Prius, or any electric car.
My worst injury
Hit in the heart playing lacrosse.. sent my heart into atrial fibrillation.
My favourite movie
A League of their Own.
The funniest thing that has ever happened to me
Too long a story to write.
My favourite colours
My hero and why
My parents.. great role models.. My husband. As a GP he saves lives and helps others.
My favourite possession
Can I name the dogs, Zac and Mischa?
If I wasn’t doing my current job I would like to be
Having coffee with my friends.
The most important things in life
Family friends and fun.
My Ambassador Reading Tip
Find a topic that you love and reading becomes easier and fun.
Jenny Williams Dip. T. B.Ed., M. Psych, B BSc (First class Hons).
Jenny Williams has represented, captained and coached Australia’s champion lacrosse team, winning a World Championship in 1986 as a player and a Silver medal in 1997 as a coach. She captained SA in Lacrosse for 12 years, winning 11 National Championships, Captained SA in Touch Football, and also represented her State in Soccer and Cricket (National Champions 1982). Jenny was awarded the AFL woman of the year in 2003 and an Australian Sports Medal for her services to lacrosse.
She has worked as a Physical Education Senior, Women’s Advisor to the Minister of Recreation and Sport and as a Research and Education Officer with Sports Medicine Australia (S.A.). Jenny is married to Mark Ralfe, mum to daughter Ellen and now works as the Psychological consultant for Best on Ground Performance with sporting clubs and corporate organisations.
For fun, Jen enjoys playing sport with her family, coaching and going to the movies with friends.
Jen challenges students to find books that make reading fun.
- Qualifications – Diploma in Teaching, Bachelor of Education, Masters of Psychology
- Captained and coached Australia’s lacrosse team, winning a world championship in 1986 as a player and a silver medal in 1997 as a coach
- Captained SA in lacrosse for 12 years, winning 11 national championships
- Captained SA in touch football
- Represented SA in soccer and cricket
- Awarded the AFL Woman of the Year in 2003
- Awarded an Australian Sports medal for lacrosse
- Worked as a women’s adviser to the Minister of Recreation and Sport and research officer with Sports Medicine Australia
- Advised on the State Government Physical Activity Council
- OAM 2022 For Contribution to Women’s sport & Psychology
- 2013 Inducted as Individual into the SA Sports Hall of Fame
- 2018 Inducted into the Team Section SA Sports Hall of Fame
- 2018 Awarded Golden Door Achievement for Contribution to women’s sport in SA