Reading is Important
During our many trips away playing hockey, I always enjoyed reading between training sessions and found it to be a fantastic way to wind down and relax.
After retiring from elite sport, we had two boys, Jed and Mitchell, and when they were growing up, we used to read together at bed time; it was a special time together. Now they are teenagers, they still love to read and like me, it’s tough to pull them away from a great book!
I am very honoured to be an Ambassador for this program because when you start reading at a young age, it becomes a love for life!
The best thing about my job
Great people that I get to meet
My favourite food
My dream car
My worst injury
I broke my nose 3 times
My favourite colours
Blue and green
My favourite possession
If I wasn’t doing my current job I would like to be
Travelling the world
The most important things in life
My Ambassador Reading Tip
Reading is an adventure, enjoy the ride.
Some more information about Juliet
Congratulations to Juliet who was inducted into the South Australian Sport Hall of Fame.
I was fortunate to be able to be a member of the Australian Women’s Hockey team for 12 years. This was a very successful era for the Hockeyroos and in this time we won 2 Olympic gold medals, 2 World Cups, 5 Champions Trophies and the Commonwealth Games.
JULIET HASLAM – ATHLETE PROFILE – ONE OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA’S GREATEST ATHLETES
- Started playing hockey at the age of 10.
- Played in junior state and under age Australian teams.
- First played for Australia in 1989.
- Played in 6 Champions Trophy Tournaments from 1989 – 1999 winning 5 of those tournaments(1991,1993,1995,1997,1999)
- 1992 Competed in first Olympic Games in Barcelona – 5th
- 1994 – World Cup – Ireland – Gold
- 1995 – National Hockey League Champions – SA Suns – captain
- 1996 – Olympic Gold medal – Atlanta
- 1996 – Telstra’s Player’s Player Award
- 1996 – Inducted into Australian Sporting Hall of Fame
- 1996 – Awarded Order of Australia medal
- 1997 – SASI Female Athlete of the Year
- 1998 – World Cup – Holland – Gold
- 1998 – Commonwealth Games – Kuala Lumpur – Gold (Co-Captain)
- 2000 – Olympic Games Gold – Sydney
- 2000 – SA Great Female Athlete of the Year
- 2000 – SASI Female Athlete of the Year
- 2000 – SA Great Sports Star of the Year
- 2004 – SA Greatest Ever Hockey Player
- 2010 – Sporting Hall of Fame
- 2013 – Australian Women’s Team of the Century
- Played 220 games for Australia
- Bachelor of Commerce degree – Adelaide University
- Ambassador for Port Adelaide Football Club, Hockey Australia Board member
Employment: J5 Consulting – Consulting for the Australian Institute of Sport, ASDA, Australian Olympic Committee