- In what year did the Premier's Reading Challenge start in South Australia?
- How long do I have to complete The Challenge?
You need to read at least 12 books by 3 September, 2021 to complete the Challenge.
- Do I have to register myself?
No, you will be covered by your school registration.
If your school is not involved or you are a home education student, just download the Student Reading Record from the Home Education and Individual Students section of the website. Send it to the address on the bottom of the form by 30 September 2021.
- Can I still participate even if my school isn't registered?
Yes, just download the Student Reading Record from the Home Education and Individual Students section of the website. Send it to the address on the bottom of the form by 30 September 2021.
Check with your teacher or school librarian first to see if your school is participating.
- Can I get books for The Challenge from public libraries and community libraries?
Yes. They all know about The Challenge and will even help you find books from the booklists. You can use the computers there to check this website to see what books are on the list. They are open in the school holidays as well.
- Can I read more than 12 books each year?
Of course! When you have read 12 books, you have completed The Challenge, but don’t stop there. See how many books you can read in a year. You could choose more books from the list or choose some of your own.
- Do I receive an award for completing the Challenge?
- First year – Certificate
- Second year – Bronze medal
- Third year – Silver medal
- Fourth year – Gold medal
- Fifth year – Champion medal
- Sixth year – Legend medal
- Seventh year – Hall of Fame medal
- Eighth year onwards – Hall of Fame Reader for Life award reflecting the number of years you participate.
- Do I still get an award if I missed a year of participating in the Premier's Reading Challenge?
Yes, just add up the years you have completed the challenge and you will get the appropriate award.
- Can I participate in the Premier's Reading Challenge in Year's 10, 11 and 12?
You are very welcome to participate in the Challenge. There is a reading record for Year 10, 11 and 12 available on this website in the Register section. You need to read 12 books of your own choice at an appropriate literacy level and have them signed off in the usual way by an adult.
- Will I receive a gold medal if I read 48 books in one year?
No, medals are awarded for years that the Challenge is completed rather than how many books are read. You only have to read 12 books to complete the challenge each year, but 48 would certainly be an achievement!
- Does it cost anything to participate?
No, entry is free to all students.
- What if I move schools during the Challenge?
When you get to your new school, let your teacher or teacher librarian know you are participating in the Challenge and they will tell you what you have to do.
- If our teacher reads us a class novel can that count as one of our books for the Premier's Reading Challenge?
Yes, everyone who hears the whole book read to them can record it on their Student Reading Record.
- If I completed the Premier's Reading Challenge in another state and now go to school in South Australia do previous years count towards my awards?
Yes. Just let The Premier’s Reading Challenge school contact person at your new school know and show them your awards from your old school. They will then make arrangements with the manager of the Premier’s Reading Challenge to have your previous participation entered so that you will receive the correct award this year.
- If a title appears on the booklist that is part of a series or has a sequel, can I read other books from the series or the sequel as part of the Challenge?
Yes, if one book in a series is included in the Premier’s Reading Challenge booklist you can read other books or sequels from that series and include them in your 8 books from the booklist (Reception to Year 7) or your 4 books from the booklist (Years 8 and 9).
- Can I read a book in a language other than English?
Yes, any of your ‘own choice’ books can be printed in languages other than English. Talk to you teacher about finding books appropriate to your literacy level.
- Can I catch up an award?
If there are extenuating circumstances, it is possible to negotiate individuals catching up a medal. To discuss, please contact the Manager, Premier’s Challenges.